DYO - Spalted Beech - Kiln Dried (board 4 of 4)
L:990mm Avge W:630mm
A stunning live edge, spalted beech board with a unique natural canyon or river feature! Lots of natural character features like bark pockets and splits and softer wood removed with hand chisels. This board will need these features filled with epoxy resin to stabilise the wood whilst adding decorative highlights.
The pictures show the board being prepared in our workshop. One coat of hard wax oil has started to reveal the wide colour variations and unique woos grain patterns.
The price shown is for a completely finished board:
- Planed flat on one or both sides depending on intended use
- Sanded through various grades of sandpaper to achieve a super smooth surface
- Live edges and board ends sanded smooth and corners lightly rounded over
- Placement of recessed inserts and stainless steel socket bolts for leg attachment
- Your choice of OSMO protective finish applied, matt, satin or gloss hard wax oil
- Table assembly (note legs are a separate product, not included in the price shown).
- Wide, deep board with great patterns and colour ranges caused by spalting*
- Interesting bark pockets or inclusions
- A good size board for a coffee table or your first epoxy resin project.
*Spalting is the term given to unique colouration and patterns on the wood surface caused by fungi in dead or stressed trees. The black lines are caused by competing fungi species trying to grab their share of the wood! The fungi are killed by the kilning process.
Unfinished Dimensions (mm)
- Length - 990
- Top width - 650
- Middle width - 630
- Bottom width - 630
- Thickness - 65mm
Planing the board flat may reduce the stated depth of the board by up to 15mm.
Kiln-dried, 8-10%. 4 years air-drying prior to kilning.
This board is from a tree that fell in St Johns in 2015. It is the last board of four cut from the same trunk.
Careful measurements are taken to minimise the amount of wood 'lost' when cutting a live edge board to make square sides and corners to square. If you want to do this then we will email you a picture showing the amount of wood that would be removed and the revised dimensions of the board.
The board won't be cut until we receive confirmation from you that you are happy to proceed.
Square ends only e.g. to place a shelf in an alcove - £25.00
One square side eg. to place a desk or table against a wall - £25.00
Cross cutting to length - £10
Rip Cutting down the length e.g. to make a river table - £25.00