DYO - Spalted Elm kiln dried board - 1 of 4
L:1490mm Avge W:310mm
Unusual colour variations on this board with lots of character. One of four boards cut from the same tree, it could be joined with others to make a wider table or desk top. Please email for further details if you want to consider this option.
The pictures below show the unfinished board in our workshop. Its appearance will be completely transformed after processing to reveal the beautiful grain patterns.
The price shown is for a completely finished board:
- Planed flat on one or both sides depending on intended use
- Front face sanded through various grades of sandpaper to achieve a super smooth surface
- Reverse face / underside coarse sanded
- Live edges and board ends sanded smooth and corners lightly rounded over
- Placement of recessed inserts and stainless steel socket bolts for leg attachment
- Your choice of OSMO protective finish applied, raw, matt, satin or gloss hardwax oil
- Table assembly
- Live edge elm board with interesting spalted* grain
- Interesting contrast between the sap wood (light) and darker heartwood
- Ideal for a coffee table or epoxy river table
- Can be cut lengthways to make live edge shelves
**Spalting is the term given to unique colouration and patterns on the wood surface caused by fungi in dead or stressed trees. The black lines are caused by competing fungi species trying to grab their share of the wood! The fungi are killed by the kilning process.
Unfinished Dimensions (mm)
- Length - 1490
- Top width - 260
- Middle width - 300
- Bottom width - 370
- Thickness - 50
Planing the board flat may reduce the stated depth of the board by up to 15mm.
Kiln-dried, 8-10% moisture content. 4 years air-drying prior to kilning.
This board was milled from a tree that fell in Peel in 2016.
Careful measurements are taken to minimise the amount of wood 'lost' when cutting a live edge board to make square sides and corners to square. If you want to do this then we will email you a picture showing the amount of wood that would be removed and the revised dimensions of the board.
The board won't be cut until we receive confirmation from you that you are happy to proceed.
Square ends only e.g. to place a shelf in an alcove - £25.00
One square side eg. to place a desk or table against a wall - £25.00
Cross cutting to length - £10
Rip Cutting down the length e.g. to make a river table - £25.00