DYO - Spalted Beech - Kiln Dried (board 1 of 4)
L:880 Avge W:510mm
An unusual spalted beech board with a fantastic bark covered void on the wider face, would make a stunning resin pool!
The pictures show the unfinished board in our workshop. Its appearance will be completely transformed after processing to reveal the beautiful grain patterns.
The price shown is for a completely finished board:
- Planed flat on one or both sides depending on intended use
- Front face sanded through various grades of sandpaper to achieve a super smooth surface
- Reverse face / underside coarse sanded
- Live edges and board ends sanded smooth and corners lightly rounded over
- Placement of recessed inserts and stainless steel socket bolts for leg attachment
- Your choice of OSMO protective finish applied, raw, matt, satin or gloss hardwax oil
- Table assembly
- Nice variations in grain and colour caused by spalting*
- This board was planed pre-kilning and has a smooth surface
- Light surface marks caused by planing can be sanded off
*Spalting is the term given to unique colouration and patterns on the wood surface caused by fungi in dead or stressed trees. The black lines are caused by competing fungi species trying to grab their share of the wood! The fungi are killed by the kilning process.
Unfinished Dimensions (mm)
- Length - 880
- Top width - 600
- Middle width - 490
- Bottom width - 450
- Thickness - 65mm
Planing the board flat may reduce the stated depth of the board by up to 15mm.
Kiln-dried, 8-10%. 4 years air-drying prior to kilning.
This board is from a tree that fell in St Johns in 2015. It is the 1st board of four cut from the same trunk.
Careful measurements are taken to minimise the amount of wood 'lost' when cutting a live edge board to make square sides and corners to square. If you want to do this then we will email you a picture showing the amount of wood that would be removed and the revised dimensions of the board.
The board won't be cut until we receive confirmation from you that you are happy to proceed.
Square ends only e.g. to place a shelf in an alcove - £25.00
One square side eg. to place a desk or table against a wall - £25.00
Cross cutting to length - £10
Rip Cutting down the length e.g. to make a river table - £25.00